Evolving the qooxdoo Project
Andreas Ecker
2016-02-21 22:23:56 UTC
Hi,

this is to let you know about the recent blog post
http://news.qooxdoo.org/evolving-the-qooxdoo-project :

The qooxdoo Open Source project is going to see some significant
advancements.

For quite a while now we have been talking about the intention to open up
the project to facilitate more community involvement. 1&1 as qooxdoo’s
initiator has started and is supporting this transformation. As the
opportunity is actively being pursued, we would like to announce where we
stand right now.

In order to allow for a best possible transformation of the project, we
wanted this to be driven by people who have been involved with the qooxdoo
project for a long time, have been providing first-class contributions to
it and have an expert knowledge of its technology. Ideally, they should
have a track record of running Open Source projects successfully as well as
knowing about the specific needs of a professional, business-oriented
community such as qooxdoo’s. Knowing such people in person and trusting
them wouldn’t hurt either.

We’re glad that the ones we approached – encompassing all of above
requirements perfectly – agreed to take up the opportunity to evolve the
qooxdoo project: long-time qooxdoo fellows Fritz Zaucker and Tobi Oetiker
joined to coordinate and drive the upcoming changes and improvements.

Moreover, others we asked for their close collaboration are also on-board,
e.g. Cajus Pollmeier, Derrell Lipman, Dietrich Streifert, John Spackman.
Given the recent activities of various people on the mailing list there is
much additional momentum.

Actually, we had hoped to announce both plan and completion of this entire
process by the end of 2015. But a few administrative hurdles are still
being worked on. With 1&1, a great supporter of Open Source and qooxdoo in
particular, some necessary steps are being taken to ensure the
organizational and legal aspects are properly addressed:

1) As previously announced (http://news.qooxdoo.org/license-update) the
current dual-licensing (LGPL/EPL) will be simplified and future releases
are expected to be under the MIT license.

2) We founded a legal entity called “qooxdoo.org” as a non-profit
association after Swiss law (named a “Verein” in German).

3) 1&1 is going to transfer the intellectual property rights and the
qooxdoo.org internet domain to the qooxdoo.org association.

4) The ownership of the qooxdoo organization at Github (
https://github.com/qooxdoo) and thus the official code repository will also
be transferred.

5) The qooxdoo hosting infrastructure (homepage, blog, bugzilla, etc.) is
to be replaced, by public infrastructure and services such as GitHub, etc.
wherever possible.

With the new freedom there will also be more responsibility for the
community. While 1&1 developers might continue to contribute to qooxdoo as
their job responsibilities permit, the driving force behind the project
will be you, the experts and collaborators right within the community.
qooxdoo will now depend on your contributions (ideas, code, infrastructure,
money, etc) and benefit from your engagement.

We have seen a number of qooxdoo-based projects being discussed on the
mailing list in the past. And we know of a few other projects using qooxdoo
as key element that are not publicly visible. Let’s bundle our resources to
make qooxdoo even better. As there are so many talented and enthusiastic
qooxdoo users this transformation is going to succeed. The qooxdoo.org
association will provide the vessel for this endeavour.

At this point we would like to thank 1&1 for the tremendous effort put into
this framework over all those years, and moreover, for the generosity to
make it available as an Open Source project since early 2005 and now
allowing qooxdoo to be further evolved by a grown-up community.

We will let you know once the administrative steps are completed. In the
meantime please feel free to send any of your comments/suggestions/pledges.

Cheers,

Andreas, Fritz, Tobi and supporters
d***@cost-savers.net
2016-02-21 23:39:14 UTC
Dear 1&1,

This is tremendous news. They should have come at least two years ago cause now the project has lost almost all momentum.
Hopefully it can be repaired by a new community which grows more than it is now as most already have left.

For 1&1:
Thanks 1&1 for the contribution of code to the community. It is a fantastic donation of the 1&1 company.

For the new core team:
Don't ever lock the project in again. Open up now! Revise together! Join the forces....

Wish the best for future...

As we have said before...if someone wants our help, tell us!

Stefan
Varol Okan
2016-02-24 14:20:49 UTC
Hey,

this is good news I am looking forward in seeing these changes causing
some positive improvements to the project in general.
I have been using qooxdoo since version 0.5 and I loved the structure
and the OO model from the get-go ( coming from a C++ background and Qt
... of course its great )

I have used it to build my WebOS ( https://AstraNOS.org ) which is a fun
place to store all my info, links, docs and pictures on the internet. I
also use it as the main interface now to program AstraNOS itself and
collaborate with my friends and with family in Germany ( thanks to
WebRTC ).

Would there be interest in using this as a portal for the qooxdoo
contributor now that the qooxdoo - web page is moving to new ownership ?
We could add missing apps as required ( E.g. github and source
integration etc. There would obviously be a ton of work to do in order
to add features currently missing ( like I have never finished the
e-mail client etc. ). It is also nice display of the power of qooxdoos'
Desktop features.

Screenshot

Cheers,

Varol :)
2) We founded a legal entity called “qooxdoo.org <http://qooxdoo.org>”
qooxdoo.org <http://qooxdoo.org> internet domain to the qooxdoo.org
<http://qooxdoo.org> association.
succeed. The qooxdoo.org <http://qooxdoo.org> association will provide
John Spackman
2016-02-24 15:41:52 UTC
Hi Varol

That looks *really* cool; so the whole thing is written in Qooxdoo? What about the server side? I’ve seen the IDE app, does this mean I could create an entire new Qooxdoo app, ie like the playground but with multiple class files, and then run that within the AstraNOS desktop?

Regards
John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application Performance APM + Mobile APM + RUM: Monitor 3 App instances at just $35/Month Monitor end-to-end web transactions and take corrective actions now Troubleshoot faster and improve end-user experience. Signup Now! http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=272487151&iu=/4140_______________________________________________ qooxdoo-devel mailing list qooxdoo-***@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/qooxdoo-devel
William Oprandi
2016-02-25 06:57:03 UTC
Glad to finally see a news about qooxdoo. I think the first goal is to
improve the project visibility to grow the community.
I use qooxdoo for 3 years and the community has always been neglected.
Tobias Oetiker
2016-02-25 07:49:36 UTC
Hi William,

by all means, anything you can do ... join us on #qxdev
(freenode.net)

cheers
tobi
www.oetiker.ch ***@oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902