Trying to set a font to a custom widget (fullcalendar wrapper)
yybalam
2016-02-24 21:40:41 UTC
Hi folks.

I found this exemple at stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26395286/qooxdoo-desktop-fullcalendar-integration

So, I dowloaded a resent version of FullCalendar (2.6.1) and create a custom
widget as wrapper:

<pre>
qx.Class.define('rigel.ui.Calendar', {
extend: qx.ui.core.Widget,

construct: function() {
this.base(arguments);
this.addListenerOnce("appear", this._appearRenderer, this);
},

properties: {
// overridden
appearance :
{
refine: true,
init: "fullcalendar"
}
},

members: {
_appearRenderer: function(event) {
var element = event.getTarget().getContentElement().getDomElement();
element.style.fontFamily = "JosefinSlab";
$(element).fullCalendar();
}
}
});
</pre>

As you can see I set directly "JosefinSlab" to fontFamily style property,
because at moment is tho only way that I got it work.

I try defining it in my theme Font with "fullcalendar" key followind this
doc: http://qooxdoo.readthedocs.org/en/latest/pages/desktop/ui_webfonts.html

Also I set an Appearance definition:

"fullcalendar": {
style: function(states) {
return {
font: "fullcalendar"
};
}
}

But I cannot get it work.

Some idea to set the font family from theme files?

Thanks.

SQville
2016-02-25 23:25:49 UTC
Hi,

I was able to accomplish this by enabling the existing font property of the
Widget class by
1) mixing in the underlying functions then
2) setting the font property from my app's Appearance class

Example: Mixin code for enabling the font property on an Image
https://github.com/sqville/sqv/blob/master/source/class/sqv/ui/basic/MImage.js

My class above enables the font property on the Image class which is derived
from the Widget class.

In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the
Image class, see below)
// Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);

Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
directly into your new Calendar widget:
qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);

This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the Appearance
class. Let me know how it goes.

SQ

Tobias Oetiker
2016-02-26 07:31:25 UTC
Hi SQ,

about that ...

I would love to see your material design theme integrated into
qooxdoo propper ... it would be great to come out with qx 6 and a
modern look and feel ...

cheers
tobi
www.oetiker.ch ***@oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902
Francisco Feijoo
2016-02-26 08:34:13 UTC
Dear All,

I'm really happy to see new movements around qooxdoo. We use it internally
in a few apps and coming from C++/Qt it's really easy to build apps
compared to the nightmare of using other frameworks.

The main problem I see right now is that if you want to write an app you
have to choose between the desktop or mobile widget set. Nowadays (at least
for me) any web app has to be mobile ready, so how could we merge them?

I was thinking about using something like twitter boostrap or polymerjs as
a reference and start extending mobile widgets but I'm far from being a
javascript expert so what do you think?

Does it make sense to merge the widgets into one desktop & mobile friendly
set?

I should have started a new thread but I saw qx6 and I couldn't resist ...
Post by SQville
from the Widget class.
In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the
Image class, see below)
// Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the
Appearance
Post by SQville
class. Let me know how it goes.
SQ
--
http://qooxdoo.678.n2.nabble.com/Trying-to-set-a-font-to-a-custom-widget-fullcalendar-wrapper-tp7588109p7588118.html
Post by SQville
Francisco Javier Feijoo Cano.
***@gmail.com
Tobias Oetiker
2016-02-26 13:27:28 UTC
Hi Francisco,

qooxdoo desktop apps work just fine on mobile IF their layout is
done appropriately ...

cheers
tobi
Post by SQville
from the Widget class.
In my app i then include the mixin with the target class (in my case the
Image class, see below)
// Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the
Appearance
Post by SQville
class. Let me know how it goes.
SQ
Derrell Lipman
2016-02-26 13:33:46 UTC
Yes and no. You don't get the mobile "feel" when using qooxdoo desktop in a
mobile enviornment. qx.mobile really is much better catered to the mobile
environment. What I've ended up doing, since I need both environments, is
putting all of my core "business logic" into a library containing mixins
which are mixed in to both the corresponding desktop class and the
corresponding mobile class. My differences in the desktop and mobile
classes, therefore, are solely the interface differences. Anything that's
the same between the two goes into the mixins.

I do much prefer the desktop environment. There's too much low-level
mucking with things required in qx.mobile, but it definitely does have its
benefits in the environment for which it was designed.

Derrell
Post by SQville
Hi,
I was able to accomplish this by enabling the existing font property
of
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
the
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
Post by SQville
Image class, see below)
// Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the
Appearance
Post by SQville
class. Let me know how it goes.
SQ
--
http://qooxdoo.678.n2.nabble.com/Trying-to-set-a-font-to-a-custom-widget-fullcalendar-wrapper-tp7588109p7588118.html
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
Post by SQville
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
Post by SQville
Site24x7 APM Insight: Get Deep Visibility into Application
Performance
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
Post by SQville
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Francisco Feijoo
2016-02-26 15:37:03 UTC
Tobias,

What do you mean by the layout done appropriately?

Derrel,

I also try to separate the interface code from the core but having to write
the interface twice it's far from ideal.

I'll try to put something together and see if it makes sense.

Cheers.

Post by SQville
Hi,
I was able to accomplish this by enabling the existing font
property of
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
the
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
Post by SQville
Image class, see below)
// Prep the Image widget to have font handling abilities
qx.Class.include(qx.ui.basic.Image, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
Try using my code as-is. Download sqv.ui.basic.MImage and include it
qx.Class.include(rigel.ui.Calendar, sqv.ui.basic.MImage);
This should give it the plumbing it needs for you to set via the
Appearance
Post by SQville
class. Let me know how it goes.
SQ
--
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
Post by SQville
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Post by Tobias Oetiker
***@gmail.com
Tobi Oetiker
2016-02-26 16:30:41 UTC
Post by Francisco Feijoo
Tobias,
What do you mean by the layout done appropriately?
buttons must be large enogh, and scaleing appropriate for mobile operation ... I guess I would come up with two interface designs that get switched over as the screen size shrinks.

the important thing is that qx desktop is fully touch aware.

cheers
tobi

yybalam
2016-02-26 16:14:06 UTC
About Francisco topic, I think the "Desktop scenario" still as an valid one.
Recently I was looking for projects with Material Design support, precisely
for do some lab with a framework with a "fluid and adataptive" UI, and I
found things as Material-UI or Angular 2. But I found some issues too:

Out there is no one project so stable as qooxdoo, event ExtJS.
The responsive UI Widgets that I found are not enough for my use cases. For
example, the majority of my users are teachers and students who need see a
lot of academic data (classes, historical records, students lists,
extracurricular events, and so on), actually the only real scenarios when my
users require an mobile app are for class inscription and qualifications,
for the rest there is no thing as a computer screen for work. I mean, still
exist scenarios where a Desktop app is the best way to do some job,
particularly in cases when is needed to display big tables, charts, big
forms, etc.

Of course out there are a lot of other scenarios, in my case, I really would
love a set of UI widgets in a middle way between Desktop and Mobile, for
example for develop apps for students.

Particularly from qooxdoo, there is some desktop widget that I miss on
mobile (like tables) and vice versa (why the noses desktop do not have a
dialog widget meanwhile mobile does? O.o).

I think would be nice as community propound a way for develop a responsive
set of widgets (and use the SQville Material work would even better), but
also I think than desktop must still evolving just as desktop. Well, that I
think. :)

SQville
2016-02-26 16:22:29 UTC
@tobi: Agreed. Will do my best to move forward.

yybalam
2016-02-26 15:24:10 UTC
@SQville Thank you, a lot. :)You give me the key that I was needing.My
scenario is actually a bit static, so now I get firs the contetElement:
var contentElement = event.getTarget().getContentElement();
And then apply the resolve font styles:
contentElement.setStyles(
qx.theme.manager.Font.getInstance().resolve(this.getFont()).getStyles());
So now I get a nice Calendar on my app. :)

SQville
2016-02-26 15:57:33 UTC
@yybalm

Excellent! I was hoping the answer was in there somewhere :-)